Skip to content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer

If you or your family lives in any of the following situation:

  • In a homeless shelter
  • In a hotel or motel
  • In a campground, RV, or building that is not a home
  • Doubled up with friends or relatives because cannot find or afford housing

Then you and your family may have certain rights or protections under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act.


Students, you have the right to:

  • Go to school, no matter where you live or how long you have lived there.  You have the right to attend classes even if you don’t have immunization records or a birth certificate.  You must be given access to the same public education provided to other children.
  • Enroll in a school without giving a permanent address.  Schools cannot require proof of residency that might prevent or delay school enrollment.
  • Enroll in school even if you are not living with a parent or guardian.  Schools cannot require you to have a parent or guardian to sign paperwork if you are not living with them.
  • Continue in the school you attended before you became homeless or the school you last attended.
  • Receive transportation to and from school if you or a guardian request transportation.
  • Participate in the same special programs and services as provided to all other students, including athletics and other extracurricular activities.
  • You have the right to file a dispute if you disagree with any decision about your education.


For help with school, do the following:

  • Contact the district’s liaison (see contact information below) for help enrolling in a new school or continuing at the school you are now attending.  The liaison can also make referrals.
  • Contact the local homeless shelter and social services office for help with housing, medical care, food, and other support.
  • Contact the school and provide any information you think will assist in helping the student to adjust to difficult circumstances.  Needs, such as transportation, free school meals, supplies, and counseling services, should be addressed.

Deer Lodge Elementary and Powell County High School liaison:

Rick Duncan 406-846-1553 ext. 401 and 406-846-2757 ext. 226

Avon, Elliston, Garrison, Gold Creek, Helmville and Ovando liaison:

Kerry Glisson 406-846-9719


MT OPI Families in Transition Brochure

Back to top